For seafood with a bit of bite, try these spicy shrimp on the grill. They take a bit more work, but I'm sure you'll agree it's worth it.
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh shrimp
- 6 tablespoons light rum
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
1. Peel and clean the shrimp, but leave the tails on.
2. Combine four tablespoons of the rum with the lemon or lime juice, oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt.
3. Stir in the shrimp and allow to marinate for thirty minutes.
In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining rum, cider vinegar, and brown sugar.
4. Thread the shrimp on skewers and grill over medium heat for three minutes on each side. Brush with the brown sugar glaze while cooking.
All three of these recipes will work for beginners, as long you don't overcook them. It doesn't take a genius to grill seafood, but it will certainly be a nice twist on the typical barbecue menu.